I am a selfish person; I know this. But I am not so callous that I would pursue a career only for money. I don't want to be that kind of person, and I don't think I am. It seems rare for someone to pursue a career, especially a career designed to help people, with the sole interest of financial gain. However, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to make money.
I have a lot of respect for my father and my older sister. They spent many years working towards advanced degrees and I witnessed firsthand the literal and figurative blood, sweat, and tears that that can entail. But now they have jobs and are making money. They are good at what they do, and perhaps even more importantly, they love what they do. I was fortunate enough to grow up with people who showed me that passion and perseverance can lead to a happy and prosperous life. I think people are often under the misconception that doing something that makes money and doing something you love are two mutually exclusive things. But I have seen that they can overlap.
And so, I don't want to continue through law school unless I know that 1) I am capable of doing well; and 2) I want to help people. All my life, I've been surrounded by people like me: comfortable, lazy, and unmotivated. But now I'm surrounded daily by people who are motivated by their deep-rooted passions and a palpable desire to help people. And I am realizing more and more my blatant self-interest and indolence that contradict precisely what a career in law represents. If I am not willing to help others, what is the point?
No comments:
Post a Comment