There is something to be said about a fresh start. At any point in a person's life, he or she has accumulated memories of the past that would be better forgotten: a scraped knee, an argument with a friend, a bad grade, a hurtful breakup, etc. Whether small or big, they all amass into our tiny brains and give us perspective on what we want and don't want for the future. And so, a new beginning isn't really a new beginning since we'll always have those memories stored; however, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing because we can learn from those experiences and start over with more knowledge.
I feel like I've learned a lot from high school, college, and maybe the most from the one year I was out of school. Living alone in a new place (albeit only four hours away) really gave me time and space (lots of it) to assess myself and set goals for the future. And it's felt like a long time coming, but I'm finally in Chicago, about to start classes in an entirely new setting with entirely different people. It's a little nerve-racking (nerve-wracking?) to have no idea what to expect while simultaneously knowing it will be extremely difficult and exhausting. But I'm excited. I'm excited for a fresh start with new people, and I think it's exactly what I've been needing. In the past, my immaturity has held me back from what I wanted and who I wanted to be, but I think now I'm finally ready to embrace the forthcoming imminent struggle, and kick its ass.
No comments:
Post a Comment