Wednesday, June 15, 2011

on pessimism

There is a difference between practicality and pessimism. Practicality requires a reasoned, logical, and objective approach to a certain situation whereas pessimism is more focused on the negative response to the said situation. There is something to be admired about being practical, but I can’t stand pessimism, especially when it’s unwarranted and unnecessary.

I’m tired of people offering pessimistic advice or taking a pessimistic stance on a situation completely separate from their lives (or even if it does involve their lives, why hold such a negative view?). Yes, I took the LSAT and will be spending over $150k on an education that will not ensure me a high paying job, or even a job at all. What career path does ensure a high paying job, though? Nothing is for certain. I wouldn’t be going to law school if I hadn’t assessed the situation, taken all factors into consideration, and planned accordingly for the future.

I think making a defining career choice requires practicality; and while going to law school may not be the most practical choice in this country’s current economic plight, I’ve made sure all the other factors (school, potential job market, etc.) are practical decisions that will make the most of this choice. I have to have faith in my desire and my ability; that I am willing and capable of doing well enough to succeed. Every life decision requires a foundation of practicality but no career goal can come into fruition without that hope and hard work. I’m so tired of pessimism.

At the risk of sounding like an angry Asian girl (which I hear is still preferable to being an angry black woman), I’ve decided to voice my thoughts about the people who are pessimistic about the law profession's future, and by association, my future. F U.

No comments:

Post a Comment