Tuesday, May 3, 2011

on generational gaps

It's interesting to read blogs of people just a few (or several) years older than me preparing to be parents or beginning the journey of parenthood. They're all so excited and invested in the process, but what strikes me most is their eloquence in describing it. They perfectly express the fears and desires that attest to just how good they will be as parents (or already are). And when I read those words, I wonder what my own parents thought before they had me, or before they had either of my sisters. I wonder if their concerns and hopes were just as pure and prettily expressed, or if they even had those kinds of concerns or hopes at all. But my questions are put to rest almost immediately because I know how good my parents are; and I know what good parents they are. Everyone says they have the best parents in the world, but I actually have concrete evidence that my parents are, hands down, the best (though that is an argument for another day and another post). But they're nothing like these young, new parents that I'm seeing and reading about. My parents don't understand the social pressures that are present in today's society; they don't know nor would they care about who Justin Bieber is; and as much as my dad tries to understand Facebook, he'll never be able to navigate around my Facebook page to view my photos (which is why I don't block him). They would never be able to start a blog and write about what it means to them to be parents; or how difficult it was starting a life in America; or how difficult it was starting a family in America. But despite their technological ineptitude and pop culture ignorance, I know their love is real, and I know their intentions over two decades ago were as genuine and heartfelt as the intentions of parents today. And I guess my biggest hope is that I can be like that someday. All I really want is for my love for my future children/family to transcend time and culture like my parents' does and like I know this generation's parents' will. It'd be nice to be able to articulate the journey eloquently, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment